Wisdom Arises Through Understanding

Friday, February 24, 2012

In Love with What ?

I read some time ago of how support groups are formed so that people who suffered similar diseases could get together and support each other but there were cases where the support group itself became a means for a person to perpetuate their condition.

There was a woman who was in a support group for an illness and as she got better, the leader of the support group told her that she is now cured and need no longer be in the support group. She got very upset and accused them of being unsupportive and mean. However, what has actually happened is that she was going around wearing a sort of invisible badge telling everyone that she is suffering from a disease and hence deserved to be given attention and preference. So if she was cured, she would no longer enjoy the attention and preference. So, in this case, it was clearly that she was in love with the illness that she could not live without it though her initial plan was to be cured of it.

Now, how often do we hold on to certain beliefs or ideas for dear life and defend it to death ? I have been doing that many a times unconsciously where I defend some ideas or belief and later realising that it was unnecessary as it create additional stress in my life. I felt rather foolish later. Like the movie title "Rebel without a cause". Come to think of it, it was rather funny, when I realised that I defended a belief because I did not know what else to believe. So its also a case of familiarity breeds ignorance.

So, I have been observing what triggers me and observe what is the belief that is underlining it. Its interesting for me to observe that when I believe something, all actions are to support it.

1 comment:

  1. It is true that unquestioned beliefs runs our behavior. The example that you brought up about this lady who was cured and refused to acknowledged to be cured is rather supportive in helping all gain clarity of that.

    Yet, I do wonder if she is truly being in love with the illness or, what she has perceived of receiving in the experience that is tied along with the illness. It seems to me, she is not really addicted to the illness, but rather to the experience of what the illness brings her, i.e. support and sense of belonging or love.

    ReplyDelete